Volunteering My Skills To Support Women Escaping Domestic Violence

I know what it feels like to be frightened of someone you live with.

For many years, I suffered emotional, financial, and other types of abuse. I remember sleeping with the phone beside me with emergency services dialled in, or sometimes on the floor outside the door to the children’s room.

I felt isolated and alone.

I was unaware there were organisations like Mary’s House that offered support, guidance and practical help for women in situations like mine. Getting the word out there is why I felt compelled to help.

Of course, financial contributions are incredibly important to charities like Mary’s House. But sometimes we have skills we can give that are equally as valuable.

For me, that meant donating my photography skills, and I was very happy to spend the afternoon photographing the board and CEO.

New Photos for Mary's House Board of Directors
New Photos for Mary's House Board of Directors


Old photo of the Board Members of Mary's House
Original Photos

Mary's House CEO - Yvette Vignando

For these portraits, my focus was on making the board members look confident and approachable. Achieving this wasn’t just about good lighting. It was about connection.

People can feel uncomfortable in front of the camera, so part of my job is creating an environment where they relax, trust me, and feel confident that what we are doing will achieve the best results. Some gentle direction, a conversation, and a bit of humour can make all the difference.

I take great satisfaction in seeing my work make a difference, especially where I use my skills to support an organisation doing such important work. Being able to contribute in this way reminds me of how far I’ve come.

There is hope. And sometimes, finding the courage to take that first step begins with knowing you don’t have to do it alone.

Help is available.

In an EMERGENCY

📞 000


1800RESPECT

📞1800 737 732

📝0458 737 732


24hr NSW Domestic Violence Line

📞 1800 65 64 63


Lifeline

📞 13 11 14


Mary's House

📞1800 002 111


 

About the author

Nina Beilby – Professional Photographer
With a degree in professional photography (AAS PP Honors) and over 25 years of experience, Nina Beilby is a highly skilled photographer specialising in corporate and business imagery. Her background in corporate IT and marketing gives her a deep understanding of the visual needs of businesses, from large enterprises to solo entrepreneurs. As a small business owner herself, she knows the power of high-quality imagery in building a strong brand. Based in Sydney, Nina works globally, bringing her expertise in lighting and photography to organisations that value professionalism and impact.



You may contact Nina through her website or by phone at 0417 022 868

Comments

Call Button

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Bio: Who Are You, Really?

Your Ultimate Social Media Guide to Image Sizes

Portraits with Cary Grant Style: Daniel Kebriti, Head of Manufacturing at LUSH